Introduction To
Visual Literacy

Understanding the challenges of effectively “Seeing”

Seeing More Effectively Requires A Systematic Approach

Research shows we may only see as little as 10% of what we look at: the remaining 90% is filled in by our brain based on memory and past experiences. This could mean that workers are missing up to 90% of the risks! Every day, we are bombarded with so much information that our senses – our vision in particular – exist in a state of constant overload. Being able to identify, interpret and act upon visual information within your environment – what we call Visual Literacy – is more crucial than ever in an increasingly complex and interconnected world. 

Although conceived from a different context, the application of Visual Literacy has the potential to advance success across multiple layers of business. Driving significant improvement in safety. From the shop floor to the boardroom, across hazard awareness and pre-job analysis to risk decision-making, the strategic value of becoming more visually literate can help organizations achieve the next step-change improvement in safety performance. It’s what you see, what it means and what you do.

HubSpot Video

Visual Literacy Benefits

Career and Personal Development for EHS and Operations Staff

Invigorate Existing Programs

Innovation in advancing safety processes

Proactive hazard identification and resolution prior to incidents occurring

Learn more about COVE’s Introduction to Visual Literacy program in our program sheet.

Seeing More Effectively Requires A Systematic Approach

Organizations striving for continuous improvement in their safety results should consider integrating Visual Literacy into their health and safety programs.

Getting Started with Visual Literacy

Attend a Visual Literacy Workshop

Get Personalized Training for Your Organization

License Visual Literacy Principles for Your Organization

At any given moment you may be seeing as little as 10% of what you think you’re seeing;

the remaining 90% is filled in by our brain. This inbuilt coping mechanism can inevitably lead to errors that are caused by bias, assumption, and miscommunication. And these errors can lead to serious injury or death.

Introduction to Visual Literacy Resources

wp-seeing gaps in safety
White Paper

Seeing The Gaps In Your Safety Program

Blog moving beyond reactive safety
Blog post

Moving Beyond Traditional Reactive Safety Programs: How To Be More Proactive In Safety

Blog Seeing Elevates The Maturity Of Your Health And Safety Program
Blog post

Seeing Elevates The Maturity Of Your Health And Safety Program

Additional Focus Areas Where Visual Literacy Can Positively Impact Your Safety Efforts

Hazard Identification
Incident Investigation
Serious Injury and Fatality Prevention
Safety Leadership